Saturday, October 30, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival Entry



Even though I am a new quilter, and I am still working on my techniques, I wanted to enter the Blogger's Quilt Festival. I really love this quilt, although it was before I learned what Dresden circles are (which made it relatively difficult to make), and it was my first time using applique. Again, I really wish I had known what a Dresden was when I made this... but I was new (and still am), and I was confident that I could do it. I also did not use interfacing. I've learned.

"Beach Babes" is for my best friend Kristina, who loves going to Aruba and the beach. I knew I wanted to make her a quilt for her birthday. Something fun, creative, and special -because she was the first roommate I could live with amicably - well, more than amicably (which is how we became such good friends). She changed my outlook on college and the rest of my time there. We also went to the beach a couple of times this summer. I could not wait to give it to her, and actually brought it over on move in day this year, a month before her birthday. I literally could not wait! I think that's one of my favorite parts - giving the quilt to the person it is intended for.


Here's the back (and my adorable little sister):

The waves were the hardest part in the beginning. Then, the sunset. Appliquing the palm trees was easy, though :)


The top of the finished quilt - Again, I wish I had known more about interfacing, but oh well. I didn't know how to use it, or what to use... also, I'm on a college student's budget, but now I'm willing to use it on my next quilts. It's worth it.

I put in little details: beach chair, beach ball, and flip flops! Can you see them? The flip flops are to the left of the beach chair.
I do my own quilting, and I was experimenting with waves (which I am getting good at, actually) and swirls (which did not go as well as I hoped because of the lack of interfacing). I'm also a self-taught quilter, so I'm learning all the time, I feel like! Thanks to Amy for organizing and hosting the festival!

For anyone who is just viewing my blog for the first time, I can't sew right now :( - I'm in the middle of a very intense semester of college and there is NO room for my sewing machine in my little dorm room, nor do I have time (I teach at a high school in the morning, then I have college classes after, and then I have to do that homework and fix lesson plans for the next day). My days are literally FULL. However, I plan on sewing over winter break, and a LOT in the summer, so hopefully you will become a follower and see what I will be doing in the months to come! For now, I post about my fabric purchases and giveaways. Just so you are aware! :)

6 comments:

  1. Love your quilt. Good luck on college

    Greetings from France

    http://busybeefree.blogspot.com/2010/10/bloctoberfest-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely quilt. Very tricky and you've done it so well. Good luck getting through your busy days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...looks great. very clever xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of color and creativity! Best of luck in classes. I can't imagine having a hobby as obsessive as quilting while in college. Glad I found quilting after grad school :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute quilts and kudos to you for all you do. My goodness, college, quilts, helping others figure things out, and so much more. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! This quilt is just amazing - so happy, sunny and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...