Saturday, May 18, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival Spring 2013: Fruit Punch

This is the second quilt I am entering into Amy's amazing Blogger's Quilt Festival this spring (see the first one here). I am IN LOVE with this quilt, which I have lovingly titled "Fruit Punch." It was very sad to see it go. I almost kept it. Almost.

AmysCreativeSide.com



Quilt Stats
  • Designed, pieced, and quilted by myself, on my home machine - inspired by Tula Pink's free patterns, "Color Blocks" (click the link for the PDF Free Pattern page
  • Measures 24" x 24"
This quilt was made as a challenge for the Central Jersey Modern Quilt Guild - we had to swap mini quilts in the analogous compliment color scheme. We had a color class and learned all about compliments, so I played with Color Scheme Designer until I found something I really liked (it's called "accented analogic" on CSD - go try it!).



This was the first time in a long time that I picked a stack of fabrics and waited for inspiration to hit me. Well, I went looking for inspiration, but that's beside the point. I guess I work better when I have a pattern idea in my head - the fabrics just come together after that!


So, there was this stack of fabric that waited. And waited. And then it hit me that my friend Jess is making the Tula Pink quilt mentioned above, and I've been slightly obsessed admiring it for awhile. I looked over the pattern, made it a bit more "off" on purpose (see the middle strip) (okay so actually I messed up on the math and it ended up like that, but I liked how it was off, so technically it stayed like that on purpose!), and made it more scrappy to fit my style (and hopefully, the style of the recipient!).



I was significantly worried about the red and green coming together to Christmas-like, but the other colors balanced it out perfectly. So, no problems there! I really love how these colors work together (and with the purple in the below picture, too :D).




The quilting worked out so perfectly - I couldn't have asked for it to go any smoother (THANKS, WALKING FOOT <3)! I drew the first inner circle of each one with a washable blue marker, and continued from there. I thought this quilt would look cool with overlapping circles, so I found a tutorial here to help me. You can bet I'll be doing this kind of quilting again.


This is my favorite part - the circles almost touch, but not quite.




In retrospect, one of my favorite parts of this quilt is the shapes involved (and not the colors for once, gasp!). Don't get me wrong, I love color, but I didn't realize how cool it would look to have square shapes with rectangle shapes, quilted in circles.


I've been waiting a while to share this one with you - for the BQF, I'm entering the scrap category. Now, go enjoy the rest of the Festival quilts and be merry! Thank you for stopping by :)!


22 comments:

  1. It is beautiful. I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours in this one and the circular quilting is an inspired idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful mini! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous colours. I love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fruit Punch is the perfect name for it - it's a lovely quilt..you are so right about the shapes thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful, Jess! would you mind posting the exact link where I can see the quilts for the blogger festival? I keep getting the directions page, can't seem to find the actual quilts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really nice mini quilt. I love the contrast of the circle quilting with the square/rectangle pieces. Visiting from TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayayayaay! Jess, this is beautiful - even prettier than I imagined with all the sneak peaks. That color scheme is to die for, but the quilting is awesome. I love the circles! lucky recipient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at you, Jess. That is lovely. What a beautiful combination of color.

      Delete
  9. That's a fun quilt and thanks for the like to the color site... that is very cool!
    Coming in from LGA
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful. I love all those blocks of colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilt! Such rich, juicy colors - the name is so fitting!! Thanks so much for linking up with Let's Get Acquainted!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great use of colour, and your quilting is marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous, Jessica! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome mini quilt! I like the random look of the blocks and your color choices!

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is a very happy quilt. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very yummy quilt! Lots of luck in the competition!
    Esther
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! A different, but very cool, color scheme. Great pattern and the quilting is the perfect complement!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilted circles look great, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...