Monday, August 26, 2013

"Sedona" - A Finished Quilt

As in, the Sedona Hills of Arizona. See? Blue sky, red and orange hills, and green grass. Most pieces are from my scrap bin (yippee!  - though has anyone else had the problem that using scraps makes more scraps?).


 Gratuitous quilt-rolled-up photo, with coordinating binding!:


I quilted the sky in clouds (one of my favorite FMQ designs to date)...



the hills in random squares and rectangles...


...And the grass in swirls. I couldn't make a grass motion with my free motion quilting foot - believe me, I've tried.



I backed the whole thing in Marby in Jade, which is from Glimma by Lotta Jansdotter. I like the whimsical feel this backing gives to the whole quilt. Almost like flowers being released into the sky :)


I still have to make/attach the label, but this is a finish for the Layers of Hope - Quilting 911 project. Thanks for organizing this, Jean! The quilt will shortly be off to Amanda, who is the wife of Eric, one of the 19 Prescott, Arizona firemen.  I hope she loves it as much as I do. I swear I have one of the worst cases of QSA (Quilt Separation Anxiety). Join us. We have cookies and seam rippers. But really, in all seriousness, I'm glad I took some time during a busy summer to sew something special and personalized for someone I don't know personally. It was worth it and I hope you are inspired to do the same.


You can read more about this quilt here and here.


 This is my 6th large quilt finish for the year. This is a rare and special moment. Let's see if I can double that number by the end of the year... that's the plan, at least... :)

Linking up to: A Lovely Year of Finishes @ Fiber of All Sorts, Fabric Tuesday @ Quilt Story, Sew Cute Tuesday @ Better Off Thread, Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation, Crazy Mom Quilts, TGIFF

27 comments:

  1. Great quilting on your bright colorful Sedona Hills. I want to try making clouds now that I've seen yours. They look like a fun shape to FMQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely quilt for a great cause and a worthy recipient. And you've set yourself a pretty ambitious goal considering two thirds of the year are almost gone and the new academic year is on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed looking at your quilt this morning and then to find out its purpose was the real treat! It is beautiful and signifies the true sense of giving. You gave of yourself to comfort someone in need. Have a great day and I wish you blessings in your quilting experiences to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your quilt. Your FMQ is wonderful. It will be a treat for whoever gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot say how facilitating these quilts has blessed me with so many wonderful quilters like you putting heart and soul into their quilts. Trust me Jessica, I have been to Sedona and this quilt is so representative of the many beautiful colors one see's in the surrounding cliffs and sky. You did amazing my angel and thank you for sharing a part of yourself with these families and on your blog for others to step up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning quilt! Good luck doubling your finished number of quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is such a beautiful quilt. I always make a huge mess making scrap projects but it is always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this quilt! So bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out awesome! Love the quilting detail and all the fun bright fabrics. I hope that it is well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks fantastic, Jess! and YES! scraps beget more scraps, haha! I found that out when I worked on my Serendipity improv. It just seemed like I could never get to the end.

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The design of this quilt is so well planned, even though it's from scraps. I love the different choices of quilting to fit with the landscape.

      Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

      :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful, colorful quilt and great guilting! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so colorful, I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful! I am making quilts for friends who live in Phoenix and we've spent a couple of days talking about motifs that scream "Phoenix" to them/us. I love how you thought this through. The quilting motifs you chose for each section are very perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quilt turned out so beautiful! I love how you did the quilting in the different sections! I love all the colors in it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! You are on a roll! Keep the momentum going!
    xo jan@sewandsowfarm

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your bright, scrappy, happy quilt! And to have made it from scraps? Amazing! And the quilting is quite clever. Congrats on such a gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really must make one of these some day. A good scrap project. Love how you kept all the colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous quilt, I love your cloud quilting, thanks for linking up to TGIFF

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Jess, what a wonderful quilt. It will definitely brighten her day. And yes, I've had that scrap multiplication problem before too. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like this! Love that backing fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colours of the quilt and the way you used different quilting patterns on each section - very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love everything about this quilt!!!

    Val from myplvl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...