Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sewing With Certainty Goal Link up!

 Today's the first day of the Sewing With Certainty series (henceforth to be known as SWC around here)! From now until February, with a post and linky party every two weeks, I encourage everyone to work on their sewing/quilting and try new things! The series is twofold: we will improve our skills/gain confidence, and exploring different and often difficult areas of the craft (see schedule at the bottom of this post for more info). Let's make this a positive, inspirational, and informative series in the quilty online world. :) For more, you can see my introduction post.


Join us!

*Remember, you can link up a current blog post as many times as you want over the course of the series, on the topics that are posted. Please only link up once for each topic. At the end of the whole series (Feb. 16), I will pick at least two winners to win fabric prizes from 1 Choice 4 Quilting and myself. The more you link up, the more chances you have, and the more people who will visit your blog to learn about your progress/thoughts on each topic!

In which areas would I like to gain confidence, you might now ask? 


 Anna Maria Horner and Julianna Horner skirt from this summer. Still crushing hard on this book-like pattern.

1. I would like to learn how to sew clothes. People automatically assume that I am skilled in the art of garment sewing because I'm a quilter, but it's not true, sadly ;) (anyone else in the same boat?). I've made a couple of skirts in the past, but my skills are basic. I want to alter some of my clothing to start, and by the end of the series, I'd like to make an easy top. I need help from you guys, though! I've heard the washi dress would be a great place to start... any other suggestions? What about for fabric?

Terrain charm skirt from two summers ago

2. I want to keep improving my piecing. My Sisters' Ten BOM quilts have helped me make nearly perfect HSTs (YAY!!!) (more on this soon). However, I want to try paper-piecing (gulp). I know people say it's easy but I've had so much trouble wrapping my head around it, even when I've seen it in person. I'm going to dive right into Fresh Lemon Quilts' Lighthouse QAL next week. I'm using my precious fat quarter bundle of Sunnyside by Kate Spain. I am so excited to start!

Fresh Lemons Quilts Lighthouse Quilt Along


Now it's your turn!





 Sewing With Certainty Schedule
  • YOU ARE HERE ---> Sunday, November 3: First Linky Party! Write a blog post about the crafty areas in which you want to gain more confidence, and/or discuss a project you will be working on during the series that will help you gain this confidence.
  • November 10: Choosing Fabrics
  • November 24: Perfection
  • December 8: Approaching New Patterns/Concepts
  • December 22: Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) with Christa of Christa Quilts
  • January 5: Creating Your Own Designs
  • January 19: Showcasing Your Work
  • February 2: Writing A Sewing Blog
  • February 9: Final Linkup! Write a blog post about a project you worked on during the series that helped you gain confidence in your skills.
  • February 16: Prizes awarded from all Linky Parties!
I can't wait to see your goals!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting the series, I hope it will help me set some goals and stick to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goals! I, too, wish I could sew garments with more confidence. I follow Tilly and the Buttons, and she creates great patterns and posts links to other pattern sites. You're right that fabric is the key, though - I haven't wanted to tackle knits on my machine, but everything I like to wear and all the patterns I admire are knit! Good luck with the paper piecing - I took a class and got the hang of it quickly but HATED the process. My goal is to never paper piece again heehee ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great linky, Jessica. I am looking forward to learning and growing while visiting all the others and cheering them on in their goals. I did do one paper piece pattern. It is a hard process to wrap your mind around at first, but does click as you go. Your Sunnyside version of the Lighthouse will be gorgeous! Sewing clothing??? No idea. Might make some cozy pajamas some day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals! I reccommend you try AMH socialite dress. It is so easy. I even made it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has taken me a whole week to figure out where I'd like to gain confidence as a quilter (I hope that doesn't sound egotistical!)--your post today helped! Curves...I need to conquer curves...will write up a blog post soon and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea! I linked up and am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im late... but I decided I have to join in! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...