Monday, January 13, 2014

Botanics Competition - go!

A couple of weeks ago on Instagram, my bloggy friend Rebecca (@sewfestive) noticed that I had won a layer cake of AMAZING Botanics, thanks to the Fat Quarter Shop and Miss-Print (really - THANK YOU!). Rebecca also happens to geek out over anything Carolyn Friedlander, AND she just received a half yard bundle of Botanics for Christmas (and from her fiance, no less - what a guy!).




In the interest of making things... well, interesting... I suggested we have a little competition. Rebecca thought we could create a quilt based on a picture, and I thought that was a sa-weet idea. Here's my picture, taken from MorgueFile, which allows you to use pictures free for design purposes:


I was so inspired after visiting Maine for a second time over the holidays - the trees along the highway are so beautiful. I didn't take any of my own pictures, so they only exist in my mind. I think the closest thing to what I'm looking for is birch trees. I don't know how big this quilt will be yet, and I may have to buy a couple more solids first. It will be very improv-y and thus "modern" - I need some practice being wonky! I know already I'll be using more colors and less "leaves" than the pictures. Rebecca will also be posting her inspiration photo today - I believe we're aiming for an end-of-February reveal (hopefully of just the top). :)

It's already way too fun starting a friendly competition! I'd love to see more people do something like this in blogland. Of course, everyone is getting so busy with new BOMs and projects. I'll be squeezing this quilt in with my other deadlines quickly coming up!

 

12 comments:

  1. I also LOVE Carolyn Friedlander fabrics! Can't wait to see what is made :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can't wait to see where you go with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that inspiring picture. It will be fun to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! This is a great idea. And your inspiration picture is fabulous! And I can definitely see it translate well with the Botanics. Lookig forward to seeing this (in amongst all the BOM's and whatnot ;-) )
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is going to be such a COOL quilt!!! CLEVER idea to use birch trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow Jess - it will be an amazing quilt :-) And congrats on such a great fabric win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool, can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got my post up a little late, but I squeaked in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great idea! Love your inspirational pic. Birches are my fave trees!

    ReplyDelete
  10. With an inspirational pic like that, anything you create will be beautiful! I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be watching with great interest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see what unfolds! We have a beautiful stand of birch trees out front of our house here in Maine and I've taken a bunch of pics over time in the hopes of working them into a project someday. Now I'll have some more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...