Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Diamond in the Rough: A Finished Quilt

There's something about making a quilt for someone who you know will appreciate it. There's also something about making a quilt for another quilter. Thanks to the CJMQG, we get the opportunity every January to make a secret gift for someone else in our guild (a late Secret Santa).


When I was given Amy, I think I literally jumped for joy! Amy and I have endless discussions about our similar fabric tastes (Alison Glass, AMH, etc.), plus voile. She wants to learn how to FMQ, and I want to learn how to make clothing. We will get together and I'm pretty sure this will happen soon. :)



She made me a paper pieced TARDIS!!! And included the AMH Socialite Dress pattern! Ahhh! Can you believe she got me, too?

We also hung out for a bit on Sunday, at our guild's sewcial. She test-drove my new machine and we walked back and forth from lunch. We geeked out about Doctor Who and IG. Basically, it's awesome having awesome quilty friends. :) Thanks Amy! <3


I am so proud of this quilt because all except two of those HSTs are perfectly lined up (Amy, I dare you to find them!!). I have to thank the Sister's Ten BOM from last year for that! It was hard for me to cut into these fabrics (like I said, some of my favorites e.v.e.r.) but it was for a good cause... I may have shed a tear or two. Oh well. I have to admit it's prettier seeing the fabrics all quilted up, which is why I call this one "Diamond in the Rough."


I was inspired by one of Amy's pins, this quilt that Anna Maria Horner herself made (I think? I can't seem to find out for sure) for Fall 2013 Quilt Market (I've had it pinned myself, hehe). UPDATED: Ironically, Anna Maria posted about this quilt, "Color Dive," today, and the class that's coming on Creative Bug! I also used this opportunity to experiment with my FMQ some more - each colors has a different design.  I am so pleased with it overall.


Woodgrain, feathers (AMH style, not traditional style - haven't done those yet), triangles



Sadly, the weather has been horrid this week, and the hours I've been home during the day were few, so I couldn't get a picture outside (I wanted to bring it to the sewcial, but she was going!). I asked Amy to take a picture of it outside and on her wall when she hangs it on her wall - so with her permission, I'll post them here. Serious quilt separation anxiety with this guy, but she loves it, so I'm thrilled! At the guild meeting, we have to try to guess who made the presents and people knew it was mine right away... lol. Does my love for AMH and saturated colors show too much? :)



 A few process pictures from Instagram! I had to stop posting because I was afraid she would figure it out before long, lol :)


Linking up to Fabric Tuesday @ Quilt Story, Sew Cute Tuesday @ Blossom Heart Quilts, Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilting Infatuation, TGIFF, and Crazy Mom Quilts.

36 comments:

  1. Beeeeeauuuuuutiful quilt! The fabrics, colors, layout and quilting are all so pretty! I totally approve of that TARDIS, in case you were wondering--it's on the corner, has a sign and a light--all good TARDIS minis should have those things! ;-) I will attempt to make a coordinating mini to go next to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Diamond in the Rough quilt. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow stunning! I love everything about this quilt... Everything!!!! Great job Jess that's one lucky partner :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely quilt, I can understand why you didn't want to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post! Quilts friends are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I love this quilt - just my colours and patterns. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful! So you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The color! So pretty! Isn't it just wonderful to get those HSTs all lined up? I still struggle, but getting better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jess! Adorable quilt! I love your fabric and colour choises! How great to have fun like that with quilting friends! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I love all the colors!

    Kim
    http://tiesthatbindquilting.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. It really is a gorgeous quilt!!! I am hoarding all of my AMH fabric until I am really good at quilting since I want to make something similar! So glad I found CJMQG - great group!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you and I also have the same taste in fabric. I LOVE the saturated colors. You did such a good job with your quilt and your FMQ. If I had been Amy, I would have been thrilled so I'm sure she was too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh! Nice job on the quilting! And the Tardis mini is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it!! You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I love the rainbow. It kind of reminds me of that true colors quilt by Anna Maria Horner (which is also beautiful). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ive study through a few of the reviews in your website at this factor. I really like the way you blog website. I included it to my most favorite blog website record and will also be checking returning quickly. Please visit my personal website as well and let me know how you experience.


    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's gorgeous! I just love the riot of colour! Also must saw what a cool tardis mini!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! Don't you just love quilty friends:) Sounds like you two are going to have fun together. The quilting is great too, I love all the different stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Diamond quilt is just beautiful! I love the colors, and your idea to try different FMQ types in each block is great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. my favourite of all your makes, ever :-) Absolutely stunning Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy is one lucky lady to have such a talented and generous friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is awesome!! I love how you tried out different FMQ techniques. Way to go on the triangles too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amy is so lucky to have a gift w/ so much thought, love, & passion put into it! I love this 'diamond in the rough' beyond words! Fabulous make!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great colors! Eye candy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful quilt! And such a great name. I love how you quilted different things in the different rounds, spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  27. bee utiful
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your FMQ is looking so great! And I'm jealous of Amy. She got a GORGEOUS quilt!! : P

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so beautiful, Jess! I love the vibrant colors, and your FMQ looks amazing!

    Thanks so much for partying at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a gorgeous quilt!! I just love the fabrics you used - they're stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your quilting is looking so good Jess!! Way to go!

    How fun to make a great connection with another quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  32. A nice story. Such sweet friends you are to each other. I love both of them. I really like the backing on your quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Super gorgeous...loving the rainbowy colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This quilt is gorgeous what a lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...