Wednesday, February 12, 2014

"Love Someone" - A Mini Quilt

At guild meetings, we often have a swap. At last night's meeting, as in past years (remember the lost Valentine mug rug? =/ still lost, btw), we swapped Valentines!


 I found myself looking for a new project in between all the others (like that's anything new) and, since we like to try modern techniques, I tried this tutorial on Moda Bakeshop by Erica of Kitchen Table Quilting. The directions are very clear and the pictures were helpful - I highly recommend it if you want to try improv curves. Be warned that this technique takes more fabric than you will think... :) Instead of all solids, I mixed in some prints.

I love quilting words! This kind of just came to me as I was quilting, so I went with it.

Anyway, this little quilt was a joy to put together and even more of a joy to quilt. I thought swirls and pebbles would adorn the inside of the heart in a whimsical way, and that the improv squares on the outside would provide the much-needed presence of straight lines for balance. On the curves of the heart, you'll notice I quilted with random waves. The kind of quilting that lets me shut my brain off and play is totally the best. I do realize, of course, that I used red thread on the top and white on the bottom. I honestly just started and didn't realize until a minute in, so I continued. Oh well. I'm still really happy with it. Hopefully the recipient (Laura) doesn't mind. :) Another little quilt (or table centerpiece) done and in a happy home!



Purple binding! By the way, have you seen this purple quilt yet by Elizabeth Hartman? Oh... my... goodness.

Gemma @ Pretty Bobbins asked to feature me on this week's I Quilt! Linky Party (thank you, Gemma!!). I love Gemma's blog and I regularly pop over there for inspiration. She does beautiful work! See her post about balance and the linky party for FMQ this week:

i quilt blog button

Linking up to:  Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation, TGIFF, Crazy Mom Quilts

9 comments:

  1. It turned out so cute! The quilting adds so much great texture and detail. Lately I have had to turn down the tension a lot to keep the bobbin thread from peaking through on the top (cuz I always use a different color--why?! ugh)--I start at 4 and then turn it down a 1/4 until it looks good on both sides. Lately the sweet spot has been at 3 or 3 1/4 (with the double batting and spray basting).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! A fun, lovely, modern valentine! Great quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the colors play so well together! A lot of care went into this mini....A...Doorable!!!

    Love the way the quilting pops right out at you in the last pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I'm trying that square quilting on my husband's quilt so I'm going to need to pick your brain next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this mini quilt and especially the way you quilted it. I'm afraid of curves but at some point, I'll work up my courage and try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, well done! Love everything about it, especially the subliminal message -- too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty, Jess! the quilting looks amazing!

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...