Tuesday, August 19, 2014

WIP Wednesday

Orange peels are addictive and I'm raring up for the opening of the final linky party of the Orange Peel QAL this Saturday! Not that I can enter or anything... but you can, and be in the running for several prizes! The linky party will be open for 2 weeks, so no worries if you aren't done just yet. :) Are you ready to link up?


I'm making progress on my mom's orange peel quilt, though not as much as I would like. I was busy this weekend visiting my college roommate and hanging out at the beach with my family (both were fantastic by the way, just not conducive to having sewing time). I've also been hanging out at Pennington Quilt Works all week, helping with kid's Quilt Camp (I am having a blast!).


I'm trying to sew a panel every day or every couple of days. This quilt has a loose deadline of my mom's birthday (middle of November) so I'd like to piece it this month. I'm following a sketch in my graph paper notebook of general orange peel placement, and the scrappy piecing is all just using what I have (it's so freeing!). I'm using the same method I used to make Scatter. By the way, my class at Pennington Quilt Works in October ("Orange Peels and Improv") has 5 out of 8 spots full (!!), so if you're thinking of going, sign up soon!

We're going to order some of the new Anna Maria Horner flannel soon for backing. Yay! I love flannel backs - they are perfect for fall/winter and for a good nap...



13 comments:

  1. oh lawdy no I'm not ready to link up!! All I've got is a pile of 48ish orange peels, and a lot of plans. And a camping trip this weekend. Which, sure is only two nights, but it takes a whole week to plan, organize, prepare, shop, pack, wash, and unpack for/from. But I'm sure I'll make the deadline for the link up! I can't wait to see all those panels together, it's going to be such a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! Wow! I'm not brave enough for orange peels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look fabulous. I love the improv with the peels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! I need to put my cushion together ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have all my fabrics but no start yet...sigh. Thanks for the inspiration anyhow, I will get to it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your low volume scrappy background. I've never attempted an orange peel, but it's definitely going on my list of "do this sometime soon". Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty - the "peels" really pop against the LV background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a bunch if peels made but my plan changed and now I have peels and not the plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. visiting from needle and thread thursday. I love this, the modern take on the traditional pattern. Hmm it is making me think!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Orange peel are addictive? Hmmm ... maybe I should try my hand at them after all ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have yet to try an orange peel quilt, but yours certainly gets me wanting to try one. :) Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jess! Followed you over from N&TT. I love how different your orange peels are, with their unusual and gorgeous fabrics and the interesting way you have been piecing the sets together! It has a very artistic, collage look to it.

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...