Friday, October 24, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Scatter

For my Fall 2014 Blogger's Quilt Festival entry (in the Original Design category), I'm sharing one of my favorite projects from this year: Scatter, my first orange peel and improvisationally pieced quilt! I wanted to make a modern orange peel quilt, and I decided to experiment with scattered peels. It came out exactly as I hoped it would!


I originally created this quilt for a dear neighbor back in June. I was going to give it to her if she had a girl. Then, Jan, the owner of my LQS, Pennington Quilt Works, liked it so much that she asked me to teach a class. It hung in the store for a couple of months (!) and now that the class is over, it's back in my clutches. But my neighbor just had a boy, so I made a whole other quilt ;) (to be posted shortly!). It's just as well because I'm not ready to give Scatter away.


In my class, I discussed my design process and encouraged my students to "let it go" as they pieced. We learned and practiced methods for improv piecing - it doesn't have to be a "free for all!"


 I sketched my vision for the quilt at the very beginning: I wanted to feature Anna Maria Horner's Pretty Potent fabrics in a rainbow burst from the middle of the quilt. I included just one "full" orange peel at the very bottom on purpose. Finally, I pieced a couple of gray scraps into each panel before I sewed the whole thing together; looking back, that's my favorite part!




This quilt was witness to many "firsts" for me and I've been working on another for my mom with different-sized peels. Scatter definitely sucked up part of my soul, and I wouldn't have it any other way.


 I backed and bound it with one of my favorite prints from Anna Maria Horner's Dowry and quilted with my free motion foot all over (changing up the design at my leisure). I also quilted one full ghost peel in the middle, which you can see here! This picture makes me super happy. :)

Thank you for all of your support and encouragement this year through the Orange Peel QAL and my very first class! I'm happy to say that I'll be teaching another section of the class at Pennington Quilt Works early next year, so stay tuned for those dates!

Quilt Stats:
Size: 44" x 55"
Pieced and quilted by me on my home machine
 Original post here

Make sure to check out Amy's lovely Blogger's Quilt Festival - eye-candy for the quilty soul!

 photo Fall-2014-BQF-Button.jpg

My past Blogger's Quilt Festival entries:



17 comments:

  1. It Is GORgeous and I. AM. Madly in LOVE with IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess! This is so beautiful quilt! I love the unique design and lovely colours! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is breathtaking. So original and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just gorgeous. The name is perfect! I love what you did. It's pieced very similar to my arrow quilt ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man there is a lot of competition in this category! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMH and low volume--my favourite! Beautiful. Thanks for teaching it in a class too, I often think that the classes (at least locally) are too regimented (I would love to take one, but you have to buy the kit--I don't mind buying the fabric from her, but I don't want to make the same quilt as everyone else). Sorry, that's a bit of a rant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. You are very original and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GORGEOUS, Jess!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good choice for the festival! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my favourite kind of quilt - scrappy and fun!! Well done - it is a great design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the color with scrappy whites!! Such a fun design! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (You inspire to get playing with my scraps!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the scrappiness in this quilt and the leaves and randomness. It's just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the low volume background you have set the beautiful orange peels again. Great job and good luck with the festival!

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...