Friday, October 24, 2014

For Baby Kevin: A Finished Quilt

 *This quilt is on my Finish A Long Quarter 4 list - here are my original goals. I'm linking up to The Littlest Thistle!*

Woohoo to Friday finishes! This quilt is for my wonderful neighbors and their new baby boy. One of my first baby quilts went to their second daughter! Crazy! I tested the Sunset Strips pattern by Brenda Ratliff of Pink Castle Fabrics (it's coming soon!). I wanted the quilt to showcase the prints, so I left out the sashing in between rows. The quilt measures 36" x 41" but the pattern allows for all kinds of sizes and customization.


The (now) mother of three loves green; I hoped this color scheme would be a welcome addition to the baby decor. While the print placement might look random, they were actually planned out - there's a method behind the madness. :) I was inspired by Brenda's layout in the pattern and decided to keep light greens and blues on the outside with medium greens in the middle. This created a staircase-like pattern.


However, I felt like it needed to be a bit bigger when all was said and done (and I didn't want to make more blocks ----> lazy quilter) so I cut borders that vary slightly (one is a solid and the other is a Timeless Treasures Sketch print). I also rarely use borders on my quilts but they seemed to work here!


Many of the prints I used are unintentionally forest-themed. The back is made of scraps and some perfectly matching stripey yardage from my stash. Don't you love when that happens?

This quilt was begging for straight line quilting! By the end, though, I was itching to get out my FMQ foot for the borders. I recently tried out this fun design on a baby quilt - it's fast, easy, and effective. Is it just me, or is FMQ faster? I guess it depends what you are doing. I often find straight line quilting tedious.

Either way, I gave the quilt away today and all loved it! Just as I hoped. Another baby quilt for another beautiful baby!





8 comments:

  1. Adorable! I really like that colour combo. And great job on the quilting. Thank you for linking up at TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks great, and I'm sure it will be well loved! The colour combo is a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww!! It is a sweet little quilt, and I'm sure with two older siblings it will get used lots and lots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That makes such a great babu quilt and I am sure it will be loved to death. I think FMQ is faster too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its a sweet little quilt - perfect for a baby boy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the step effect and the back is as gorgeous as the front. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to say, I'm done. I've read all posts February to October. You've had a busy but productive year. A belated but since happy blogiversary to you.

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...