Tuesday, October 28, 2014

To Teach, Part 2 + Class News

Last week I taught the second of 2 classes of Orange Peels and Improv at my LQS, Pennington Quilt Works (see part 1 of my class here). My 8 students (a full class!!) are making quilts based on my baby quilt, Scatter. I seriously can't wait to share pictures of their tops/finishes with you in the future (with their permission, of course)!

 Robin got a head start with her layout!

First, I explained the basics of improv piecing and how I pieced my quilt together. The method I like to use is "planned"improv sewing. I gave my students a bunch of ideas to try and methods to use, and they were off making! I took a few pictures of their progress throughout the night:





I'm happy to announce I'll be teaching a modified version of this class at Mid Atlantic Mod Sewing Retreat in Lancaster, PA, from April 23-26!!! Registration opens for sponsoring Modern Quilt Guilds on Nov. 1, and general registration opens mid-November. You can sign up for the workshop when you register - all workshop info is here.

In addition, due to popularity, this two session class will also be running again early next year at Pennington Quilt Works! Stay tuned for dates if you are in the NJ/PA/NY/DE area. :)



Meanwhile, my second orange peel top is still progressing... I hope to have the top done by the weekend. Improv piecing can be super time consuming but also quite freeing. I'll just keep chugging along... for the first time in forever (cue Frozen music), I'm pouring my heart and soul into just one project. And it feels good.

6 comments:

  1. What a fun bunch of orange peels! And hurray for teaching more classes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like everyone, including the teacher, had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eep! I could completely justify a road trip to Lancaster next April!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you! And I'm glad to hear that you're having successful classes. All those classes look really tempting... I guess we're going to have to do out Burkholder's run on Friday since you're class is afternoon on Saturday :p

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...