Friday, November 14, 2014

"Tomorrow Night" - A Mini Quilt from Tangled

Have you seen the animated Disney movie Tangled? If you haven't, get yourself a copy STAT. It's a huge favorite in my family. My husband and I will often watch Tangled, How to Train Your Dragon, and Frozen on weekends... we're normal twenty-somethings, right?


Anyway, my sister's birthday is tomorrow! Yes, my little sister who helps with photoshoots and coding and all kinds of sewing related stuff. She's not so little anymore, though - she's going to be 18. Wow. A few months ago, she requested a mini quilt of this painting from the movie:



Pretty close, no? The movie is about Rapunzel (yes, that Rapunzel) with a twist: she wants to leave her tower to see the lanterns that appear every night on her birthday. I won't spoil the story for you, but I'll insist that it's original and funny!

 

I pieced the background with improv curves, which was really fun. Almost everything else was raw edge appliqued. I used different colors of threads to outline the lanterns and make them shine!


I also wrote in the part of the song in which Rapunzel paints this picture:

"Tomorrow night, the lights will appear
Just like they do on my birthday each year
What is it like up there where they float
Now that I'm older, Mother might just let me go." 

You can see the whole scene/song here. :) It's the opening of the movie and it's super catchy! The part where she finishes the painting starts at 1:41.


Actually making Rapunzel was the hardest part. I think her foot ended up bigger than her arm, but oh well. :D Her hair was fun, though. I took a long yellow fabric scrap and just free-handed with scissors. Same with the trees - which I'm very pleased with.





As you know, I'm more likely to identify with modern or modern traditional quilting than anything else. I'm assuming this would be considered an "art quilt" but it's a quilt, right, and that's what matters anyway, right? I offered to paint the scene instead - not that I'm an amazing painter but I thought she would like it more. She adamantly told me... "no" because I'm a quilter! Haha. The whole quilt measures out to 20" x 27".


She loves it! Next year's request is Frozen. I'd better start scheming.


One more from far away (it looks so real like this, and yes, there's part of my messy craft area):



21 comments:

  1. Ah! You did awesome with it! The colors and feel of it are spot on and I love Rapunzel!! The hair! The quilting! Frozen and Tangled are my favorite Disney movies (not in that order, and Brave is up there too). I may have to make a series of mini quilts for my daughter's room...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea! I like how you stitched your lanterns to make them glow. Great job on the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you made a awesome 'art quilt'. I love it. What a great present!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing job, I personally love Tangled! Have you seen Stardust? Its one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful job, Jess! My 20-year old daughter chooses to watch Disney movies on weekends, so it seems normal to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so lovely, Jess! Even better than the inspiration painting. I looooove the quilting you did in the trees, and around the lanterns and the strip of metallic C+S in the background. So awesome! You're such a great sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only started following you in the past six months, so I might not have the perspective to say something like this. But I really feel as if you've found your sweet spot as a quilter. You've carved out a niche for your creative self, and it includes a lot of applique! It's fun to see you explore this realm of quilting, especially b/c it's so different from what I do! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is fabulous! I love how you have recreated it in fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilt! I love Tangled too. And your quilting! Fab-u-lous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jess! This is fantastic! You are very talented and creative! I love the way you made this adorable quilt! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool! We love this movie too! My fav part is when she leaves the tower and is torn between going and not going :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You nailed it! I love that movie too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ummmm...nailed it!! I have a 3 year old who provides my husband & I an excuse to watch those movies, but even if we didn't have him, we'd totally still watch them. I mean, how could you not absolutely love Toothless!? Gorgeous mini!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tangled is one of my favourite kids' movies! I love what you did with it, Jess -- it's perfect! You have a very lucky sister!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find the quilting especially effective. Nice wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beyond wonderful! What a special gift and it looks like it was great fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It turned out great! I haven't seen Tangled and was wondering what you were going to make when you initially mentioned it. I did not really get it! Now I totally get it...getting old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, this is really super neat!! What a great gift, and gosh, it makes me want to make one for a sofa cuddler size! Too bad I have way too many projects backed up. . . ;D Very nice job here.

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...