Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Snow Days, Sew Days

I've been blessed with not one, but two snow days this week. I am dreadfully afraid of driving in the snow/ice so I've been cocooned in the house. Unfortunately, my husband, unlike me, does not work at a school but at a bank that hardly ever closes EVER, so he had to drive. We didn't get much overall in western New Jersey (only about 3 inches) but the roads weren't plowed here until at least 12 noon today.



Anyway, here's what I've been working on. These improv blocks are the basis of my Cascade Fabric Challenge for the CJMQG (due in March). I used these fabrics for my Gentle Improv Wave pillow (which went to Quilt Market!) and tutorial last year.  Jessica Levitt, a designer for Windham Fabrics and just an amazing all-around person (and one of my quilty best friends) (oh yeah, and she's our founder and current VP), gave out fabric to all who wished to participate. We can use any solids and I have to say that the solids in her collection, especially the light gray, are so versatile. These colors overall aren't my *usual* colors (you know I like my bright and jewel tones) but they are calming and so pretty. I've decided to take the fabrics color by color and lay them out as so. The project is still evolving and I'm not quite sure what the end result will be (Will I cut the blocks further? Will I lay them out on a consistent background or on appropriately colored backgrounds?). That's the best part of quiltmaking IMHO. Sometimes you just don't know what's going to happen!


This weekend I also worked on another garment for QuiltCon! I NEVER in a million years would have thought that by the end of January, I would have three out of at least four solid outfits to wear next month. Especially since I'm still (and probably will be for a while) really feeling my way through this whole garment-sewing thing. For example, this was a really easy skirt that took much longer than planned because I kept getting the elastic twisted up (full disclosure!), but it's all good now! I'll make sure to take real pictures of the finish soon. I have to say, though - rayon is beautiful and gorgeous and soft, but it was very hard to sew with! And yes, I read up all about it, but it just flows. everywhere. nonstop. I also made the full bust adjustment to my Socialite Dress (!!!) muslin and started cutting into my precious AMH voile, so that's in the works, too! Hopefully it won't be too trying.


There's some secret sewing going on here and there, too, but it's secret, so I can't really share. :D I feel like I'm starting 1.1 million projects at the same time right now, and while that makes for lots of choices, it does make it hard to focus on just one.

Linking up to WIP Wednesday.

10 comments:

  1. I am glad that you were able to be warm and cozy without having to venture out and be uncomfortable driving. And yay for unexpected bonus sewing days! It really seems like you are super productive right now, and I am so impressed with all your creations for QuiltCon. I'll be the gal in yoga pants and zip up hoodies. :) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take a snow day for some fun sewing anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great, soft colour combination you have going there; can't wait to see what you do next. A lot of my quilting projects have been like that, just feeling my way through without really knowing where I'm going. Funnily enough, I've chosen to be more intentional about patterns this year -- I wonder how soon I'll tire of making other people's ideas my reality?

    Love that fabric with the pink daisy-type flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see this dress on you, it is going to be so gorgeous! I love those quilt blocks, but partly because they're my colors ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Sewing! We only got about a 1/2 inch down here--but who needs snow to sew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors in your new improv project and am jealous a little bit over your snow days.I just got a two hour delay out of all this freezing cold :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving the Cascade palette. You're right: it's so calming. I look forward to seeing this project come together.

    BTW: 3 inches?! The total from From Bolt to Beauty world headquarters is 36 inches. BAH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors in the quilt you are making and the fabric for your clothing. Can't have too much purple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see the dress. I love that color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking great! I hope to see you and your homemade garments at QuiltCon

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...