Monday, February 20, 2012

Bubble Trail: A Finished Quilt

I'm so excited to reveal my first quilt finish for the new year, "Bubble Trail!"



I don't know exactly how the concept came to me. I'm always in the more modern mindset, and this is the second time I really experimented with a lot of negative space (my first quilt doing this is here).

 
Scrappy binding and backing.

I always loved bubbles and rainbows. I guess it was just a natural connection from there for a baby quilt. I like to make up my own designs, I guess :). I realized I had quite a nice collection of great rainbow fabrics, and I used my Accuquilt Baby GO! to cut the circles - in all different sizes.


I also tried a new technique for applique: spray basting the circles on and then simply quilting over them. No pinning involved. I had already started my quilt planning when I saw this post at from the blue chair. Thank you for the inspiration, Kati!

 
Had a fun photoshoot with my sister :) We didn't expect these pictures to look so cool!

The spray basting worked great, though as I worked on it more, I realized I had to really start staying close to the edge in order to make sure the whole "bubble" wouldn't disintegrate in the wash. And it worked out well. You should try it out! Fast and easy applique - just be careful.


 I LOVE how you can see the texture from the stippling after the wash! It's difficult to see, but I stippled in the colors of the bubbles - so I used not only white thread but purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and pink.


I also quilted some hearts into it randomly (see in the green?)

I don't want to give this one away. That's how it always is though =/ I fall more and more in love with my quilts every time. Luckily I know it's going to a beautiful little girl (my 4th niece) who will be here SO SOON and will love it! I hope! I just need to put on the label :)

As a quilt top...

 P.S. No updates on my lost Valentine mug rug =/ Maybe it has yet to show up!



26 comments:

  1. Visiting through Sew Modern Monday...this is incredible! What a gorgeous quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new baby quilt with the bubble images sure turned out cute! Your soon to be niece and her family are sure to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable! love the circles of color :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! I have felt too daunted to try circles. And yay for nearly being a teacher from this NZ teacher! (Best job in the world)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt looks wonderful. I love your use of colour. Congratulations. Cheers, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. super cute! I love the bubble wand, great touch. it will be a cherished quilt for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful quilt! I would love for you to visit and link up at my Linky Party via: ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    Mrs. Delightful
    Ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. FABULOUS! The bubble wand is adorable and you chose such great colours. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Thanks for the idea of fast appliqueing too, I'm sure that will come in handy soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I love all your pictures & your great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool technique for attaching the circles! Thanks for photographing them so well :-) I'm definitely going to give that a go :-)

    P.S. Would you please consider disabling your word verification?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt. It makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a beautiful quilt! Lovely design and so great photos!
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a clever quilt - both the design and the execution. What a lucky recipient she'll be!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it - and the way you've quilted it. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This has to be one of the most imaginative and "fun" baby quilts ever! I love the rainbow of colors (it's not too much - because of all the white space) and the little birdy in particular:).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous quilt!

    Mrs.Hearts
    www.busyhandsquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute quilt. Can almost see the bubbles being blown.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A gorgeous quilt!!! What a great idea to do the circles in rainbow colours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your bubble quilt! A question for you...do the edges of the circles fray after several washings?

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...