Sunday, May 20, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival 2012

I have always enjoyed the Blogger's Quilt Festival - thank you Amy, for hosting!

Amy's Creative Side

This year, I'm sharing my Bubble Trail baby quilt. It is still (somewhat embarassingly) my only 2012 finish. My readers know that I have been student teaching and just graduated undergrad - unfortunately, as much as I tried to make time, there wasn't much to be had the first half of this year. That is changing, however (and this blog will be too!)

On to the quilt. This idea started festering in my brain when I found out about my soon-to-be sil's pregnancy. Actually, originally, I intended to use a FQ bundle of Valorie Wells's Wrenly for that quilt, but somehow, the bubble idea popped into my head. I wish I could tell you how - I honestly have no idea. But when I thought of it I LOVED the idea as a baby quilt.


I have always enjoyed machine applique (raw edge) and its look. Plus, what better than to practice techniques on a baby quilt? Also, I've always loved sewing in rainbow. Thus, a quilt was born (hallelujah!)

What I learned: I love using a neutral solid (in this case, the Kona white) as a dominant part of the quilt. Very modern, haha! When I thought of the bubble wand, I knew I couldn't ignore it; trust my instincts and it works! I also controlled my stippling better, and greatly enjoyed the effect of rainbow stippling on white (it's difficult to see but here's a picture of green and blue together):


I didn't want to give it away but I can think of no one better than my baby niece. I also FMQed her name into the bottom (Audriana):

If you would like to read my original posting about this quilt, you can see it here.
Enjoy the other (beautifulamazinggorgeous) quilts and thank you for stopping by! :)


41 comments:

  1. I just got my Ed degree so I know how tight time can be when juggling student teaching.

    Really cute quilt! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL what an awesome and whimsical quilt! It is so colorful and playful, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very clever of you to put the bubble wand on there and also the tiny heart in the quilting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job,very charming and the bubble wand is such a great whimsical touch.

    Come see my entries 64 (repro. applique) and 85 (antique appliques).

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute! I love that you put the bubble wand on it too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific quilt, so original! I too enjoy raw edge appliqué for the immediate gratification!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt. Love the circles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it - the bubble wand is a stroke of genius and the rainbow quilting is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea and quilt! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I. Love. This. Quilt. So awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat quilt! Perfect for a baby or anyone, I love raw edge applique too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously love everything about this quilt. It's such a fun concept and executed perfectly. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The perfect quilt for a baby. Lovely!!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderfully creative all the way around! Your youthful energy is oozing from your post. LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First you shouldn't have to feel bad about not having much quilting time, I do that to myself a lot and it makes the hobby less fun when I am always feeling bad I am not doing it enough. Think of the millions who never make time for handmade creations at all! Ok and second, I am loving this quilt and as a pregnant woman here I would simply fall over if someone made a quilt like this for our baby! It is s pretty and made with so much love. This baby will grow up with such a terrific quilt. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very original - love the modern look to it and the fabulous quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! And if it makes you feel any better, I haven't finished a darn thing yet this year -- well, except a prom dress. But no quilts. We moved across country at Christmas. That's what I'm blaming it on. Enough about me. GORGEOUS quilt! I love the bubbles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a wonderful quilt for a baby! I like the bubble wand idea to go with the circular appliques. Splendid design.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it, just voted it my fave baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I nominated your quilt for "Favorite Baby Quilt" - hope you win!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this quilt!!! Just voted for it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's really awesome!!! You have mad skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this! Congratulations on your nomination :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! So wonderfully creative!

    Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job on the circle placement. I did an applique circle quilt and placing them about drove me crazy. Those look just right.
    Also I just read your profile, hurray, another quilter in her twenties! And congrats on getting married. Is there anything more exciting?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this! So light and cheery

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations. It's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your win! Your bubble quilt is a perfect design for a baby and I'm sure your niece will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on your win. Its such a cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on your win at BQF.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats on the win! I love it! But then I do love Bubbles, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...