Sunday, October 27, 2013

BQF: Pumpkin Spice Latte, A Finished Quilt

This is the second of two quilts I've entered in the Fall 2013 Blogger's Quilt Festival. You can see the other quilt here!



There's only one way to describe my latest quilt, which was a labor of love over the past month: worth ittttttt! I'm linking it up to the throw category over at the Blogger's Quilt Festival :) Please make sure you get over there to see the amazing quilts!


The Modern Maples craze was getting to me a bit as of September. I started to question how urgently I really had to tackle all of my other sewing commitments, and came out with the ultimate decision that I was going to make the sacrifice. I have so many beautiful fall fabrics, and it's my favorite season. What more of a reason could there be? Though it did take a LOT of willpower to cut into my AMH stash!


I knew from the beginning that I was not going to lay my quilt out in a traditional format. I wanted the leaves to look like they were really falling! I also knew, after seeing this gorgeous version on Flickr, that I wanted a scrappy low volume background with one-color leaves. As I was piecing, I realized I had some beautiful strippy scraps laying around, and that they somehow had to be included. Now, they are my favorite part of this side!


Then, I decided to take even more time to make the quilt double-sided. Ha. I've been crushing on plus quilts and figured, why not just kill two birds with one stone (is there a less violent way to say that? Lol!)? Anyway, the maples at the bottom were begging to be together. So I let them.



The quilting was a conundrum at first. I originally considered a constant, all over design in tan thread, because it would blend well. Then, I thought, nahhhhh. No way. This quilt deserves golden and light brown thread - something that stands out just a little. It also deserves custom and intense quilting, which is why I created different-sized Baptist Fans radiating out from the two corners, to reach a middle of swirls (which looks like wind, according to the husband). It's probably more like Leah's Echo Shell design, now that I'm thinking about it.





This quilt took about 12 bobbins and 12 hours to quilt (which was most of my free time this week) and I am so happy with the results! The weather was perfect for a sunny photo shoot today!



I admire Alison Glass so much, and had to use one of her new Feather fabrics as the binding. It's the perfect autumnal addition! My only regret is that I did not buy a full yard (it's almost gone). :( I also depleted much of my LV/low volume stash - need to go stock up!


I spent the last couple of days quizzing loved ones about a name. We came up with everything from "It Looks Like Fall" (that was my mom) to "Thanksgiving" to "Maple Syrup," but ultimately it came down to my favorite autumnal drink: Pumpkin Spice Latte. Mmmmmm. :)


Quilt Stats (let's break it down):
Fabrics: Everything I love. Really. Alison Glass, Anna Maria Horner everything, Juliana Horner, Lizzy House, linen from some of my old pants, Denyse Schmidt, etc.
Pattern: Modern Maples, with generous alterations (using this tutorial for the block)
Pieced and Quilted by: Me on my Janome MC6300
Size: 76" x 46", aka a very long throw quilt for the couch!
I also posted about this quilt here, here, here, and here.


This was my October goal, so I'm celebrating!!! and linking up to:

 AmysCreativeSide

A Lovely Year of Finishes


Past Blogger's Quilt Festival Entries:

50 comments:

  1. "Cut two carrots with one knife." It turned out lovely! What an awesome quilt to keep to yourself! Such fun quilting, fabrics, layout and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so great! I love the autumnal plus back :) I also really like the swirls mixed with the fans :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jess, it turned out so beautifully! Your quilting looks fantastic, and I love the layout you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's absolutely blimmin' gorgeous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those hours of quilting were well spent! Absolutely love the effect! Love your modern maples, Jessica. The pluses on the back are a great addition (Ha, ha!) and the binding sets off the whole thing perfectly! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just adore your version of the Modern Maple quilt!! Just so much to love here - your fabric, the mix of elements, your quilting. VERY nice. I'm not usually into pumpkin spice lattes, but I'll take this one any time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous MALORGEOUS is all I can say for both quilts xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love the colours in this! And now I want Starbucks...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so so gorgeous - I love the colours and I'm absolutely mad about the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fun quilt! Great colors and stitching.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. its amazing. So worth all the work you put into it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it! Those colors are just amazing...autumn is my favorite season...I really should make myself an autumn quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I just love the fall colours..even though it's Spring here right now...I tend to quilt fall colours all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just so pretty and two-sided..phenomenal. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this quilt is fantastic! The colors you used are amazing and the layout is perfectly imperfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so much want to make a leaf quilt, and yours is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely quilt! Your fabric selection is perfect for the pattern, and I love the low volume background on the front. The back is perfect in its own right. You really hit the jackpot with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely quilt! Your fabric selection is perfect for the pattern, and I love the low volume background on the front. The back is perfect in its own right. You really hit the jackpot with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely vetrsion of the modern maples - love your colors

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! The design on the back(i think) is amazing. I love the pluses and maple leaves together and the palette is perfect. Fabulous job....oh, and the binding is perfect too!!! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful quilt! I love all the fall colors in it!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous quilt Jess....good luck!! Thanks for sharing Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my gosh, Jess! I adore fall too, and this quilt is just absolutely gorgeous. love, love, LOVE it even more now that it's quilted up (that always happens, right?). just beautiful!!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great colors and the quilting as well. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  25. stunning! I was very amused to read that your fabric is as opinionated as mine ;) {and I must admit, the fabric has never been wrong}

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh, I love it! Perfect name, fabulous quilting, great fabrics like a perfect Fall day! So glad you linked up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love that you made it 2 sided!!!! Thanks for linking up with The Other Side of the Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This quilt is beautiful! You've used some of my favourite prints and I love the placement of the leaves! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow - I popped over from The Other Side of the Quilt and had no idea what I was in for with the front - amazing. Great colors and perfect quilting choice.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE this!!! I'm a new follower, your work is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just starting to FMQ so I'm looking at as much FMQ by others as I can. You do such a beautiful job! P.S. try "catch 2 butterflies with one net". That's what my husband says because he knows I don't care for the other expression.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...